Thursday, April 22, 2010

Hello, my name is: Betty. Today I'm blogging about: I don't know.

Ever think about letting go completely of all planning in life and just living from day to day, not caring what comes next? I have. Also, I've recently discovered that it doesn't completely work. In life there will always be a plan. Even if it's as simple as "Hey, maybe I should wake up." Planning happens all the time, even when we don't realize it. In biology, I'm learning about DNA and how EVERYTHING, every simple little thing, is controlled by a certain sequence of bases and sugars. Basically there's a pattern, that pattern makes certain proteins. Each protein then does all their different things in the body, and thus, you become you. You work the way you work because of proteins. You look the way you look because of proteins.

Obviously, you can't escape planning out your life because it's constantly being done and it's in your 'blueprint'. That being said, spontaneousness is also a big part of everything. When you have kids, the DNA they get and that is combined is all random. I try to live in the present and be spontaneous and not get hung up on details but that is so ME, it's not even funny. I am the type of person who feels like plans are important and if I don't have one, I am lost. But at the same time, I am completely okay with not having one if having one is more problematic.

Take my plan for after this final year of high school.
Step 1: Graduate.
Step 2: Some random summer job.
Step 3: Not a clue.

That's as far as I've gotten, because every time I try to go past that I can't decide on life or anything. I don't have a job, so it doesn't help. I can think of a few things I'd do after school, but no way to do it. Either I don't have the money and go back to needing a job or my mother tells me it wouldn't work and I go back to needing a job. So basically, my life's plan so far is to get a job. Pathetic. Really.

That said, most things in life that do not really require planning (or don't seem to) are actually twice as awesome as things that do. For instance, say you're family is driving along after a swim at some lake and see a sign for an ice cream place. You have to be home to make supper but you stop for ice cream anyway and get some, sitting together and laughing and having a great time. You don't even care that you need to make supper, and that you are spoiling it with your ice cream. (Can you tell I really want ice cream?)Those types of moments are what the world calls "priceless" and that are amazing in all their spontaneousness. I'd bet my favorite type of soda that no one would forget that day. I haven't forgotten when it happened to me.

Love is also something that happens completely out of the blue-usually with really bad timing-and screws everyone up. But at the same time, it's amazing. It's great, it's more than words can say. It's the closest thing this world has to magic, at least, that we know of. So when you think about it, planning and being spontaneous are both essential in life and our choices and how we choose to remember everything we do. So, be spontaneous, be organized. Make mistakes, fix them. Be human, and learn. Life is all about learning.

I guess I said it best about two or three weeks ago with my BFF.

"I'm going to plan spontaneously."

Just Me.

2 comments:

  1. "It's the closest thing this world has to magic"

    AQUAMARINE WHAAAA--

    I think spontaneous planning is the best approach. : 3

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lol I knew it was in a movie, never remembered which one. Now I feel like a failure. Kill me now.

    Planning spontaneously is truly epic.

    ReplyDelete