Tuesday, April 27, 2010

Rant (finally). :D

Ohkay, so, I found something new to rant about. Books.

Today I am going to rant about books and how reading is important and how NO ONE nowadays reads anything on paper. If you are reading this blog, you are a great example of how our world is now an electronic one. You know, as opposed to years ago when our parents were in the foreign land of OUTSIDE, BOOKS, PAPER, and even *Gasp!* FACE-TO-FACE INTERACTION!

Scary, isn't it? I know. But today I am going to give you five good reasons to read an actual novel with chapters. Thanks to my new complete joy about my newest book in a series I recently fell in love with hitting the store shelves, I have discovered that most of my classmates don't really read books. This one guy in my english class chose a NOVEL for his independent novel study for FIVE WEEKS that was a mere 80 pages. Because, as he said, he didn't read much and didn't like not being able to watch something as opposed to having to imagine something.

I am losing faith in mankind, and so to solve this I am being a hypocrite and blogging about it. Maybe later I will write it down on paper and hang it on my wall so I don't feel so bad. ANYWAY, five good reasons to read a good long book. (Mine are usually 150 pages+..Try it sometime)

1. Reading makes your brain work, thus making you smarter. Instead of some blubbering internet idiot such as 'I TOTEALLY KNO WHT U MEN DOOD!' You get actual coherent speech. Example: 'I know exactly what you mean, I feel the same way myself.'

2. There is a book for almost every type of person out there. Seriously. I did research. (Browsed my school library) There are sports books, history books, books about people who cut themselves, happy books, love books, action books, mystery books, encylopedias for the nerds, and even books with some math.

3. When you watch movies or television shows you are constantly held back by what the visuals and the personalities represented in that period of time are. You cannot make anything up, it is against the rules. Whereas books actually ENCOURAGE you to make shit up. ALL THE TIME. You can have a debate purely on whether a character in a book would do something insane because usually the characters don't state things according to your exact specifications. Neither do TV shows but they get close.

4. When the power is out and you are crying because your computer doesn't work, BOOKS WORK. They need no electricity.

5. If you don't read ever, you may actually start to see signs of this suffering in school. Your brain is actually screaming at you angrily "READ A GODDAMN BOOK!!!"

Also, if you read, you will get a cupcake. :D

So, those were my five good reasons to read books. Please take note that I did this all from the top of my head and therefore, it probably isn't 100% scientifically accurate and it probably sucks. Carry on with your electronically addicted lives(I shall join you on that one).

Just Me. :)

2 comments:

  1. Reading online can be just as good as reading a book, if the things you're reading have some, you know, intelligent content.

    With the advent of e-readers, people think that those will be the future of books, but you can drop an e-reader and it'll break.
    You can't break a book (no matter how many times I drop 'em at work) xD

    ReplyDelete
  2. Okay I do agree with that. Reading online is good if there is intelligent content. And also, ew e-reading. I honestly hate the idea. I love the whole curl up with a book sort of thing. Not so much into the 'I'm on a bus with a flat book that I scroll down on a computer.'

    ReplyDelete